Common problems with HVAC systems are expected because they are mechanical devices; however, to avoid breakdowns and extenuating situations, they should receive immediate attention when you notice a problem. In addition to expert air conditioner maintenance, homeowners are capable of handling some minor concerns, but the complicated ones should be left to the professionals.
Troubleshooting Common Problems
In spite of regular air conditioner maintenance, your unit may still act up occasionally. Some common issues homeowners face with their AC units include:
- Cooling is inadequate, uneven, or non-existent. Inadequate cooling may be due to a thermostat set too high, a dirty evaporator, or a too-small unit. Uneven cooling is caused by an unbalanced distribution system. A non-cooling unit may be due to a thermostat set too high. Cooling issues are also affected by dirty air filters, clogged ductwork, low freon levels, or compressor failure.
- There is a rattling noise, especially at start up. This may mean that the blower motor or belt is malfunctioning.
- The condenser is not running. Possible cause may be electrical.
- The condenser unit repeatedly turns on and off. It may be dirty or blocked.
Do-It-Yourself Helpful Tips
To save money on your air conditioner repair, here are a few things you can do before calling a technician:
- Remove, clean, and wash the air filter and condenser.
- Check the thermostat to see if it is working properly. Lower it about five degrees as a test.
- Touch the condenser copper coils. If they are cold, it may be sign of compressor failure or low freon levels.
Maintaining an efficient unit is the best way to avoid expensive air conditioner repair. When self-help is insufficient, such as for faulty motors and compressors, your Augusta air conditioning company stands ready to assist. We specialize in keeping your system running properly to ensure the quality indoor air that you deserve. Just call Duggan’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning at 706-733-8703.