Furnace Repair and Troubleshooting in Your Augusta, GA Home
Posted on June 14th, 2018
In the modern home, a furnace is a necessity for comfort and survival during hard winter weather. Without a working furnace, discomfort and even sickness would run rampant. Unfortunately, today’s furnaces require regular upkeep and professional tune-ups to run efficiently. For the busy homeowner, that means scheduling service
with a professional. Remembering to do so can be hit-or-miss, though. Avoid common furnace troubles
and schedule today!
Check the Furnace Filter
First and foremost, check the filter. Over time, the furnace filter will accumulate dirt and debris. That clogs the filter and impedes air flow. Even worse, accumulated dirt will lead to reduced indoor air quality
, and may even prevent the furnace from turning on. A dirty filter is also a fire hazard.
Follow these steps to check your furnace filter:
- Turn off the thermostat and switch the furnace off.
- Check the filter every 30 days (set a reminder on your phone).
- Hold the filter to a light – if light cannot pass through, filter should be replaced.
- Remember: The arrows on the new filter point in the direction the air should flow.
- Make sure the access panel is secure.
Check the Thermostat
Once you have verified the furnace filter is clean and properly installed
, check on the thermostat. The thermostat is the next likely cause for furnace troubles.
- First, be sure the thermostat is set to “heat,” and set the temperature 5 degrees higher than the current room temperature.
- A thermostat runs on batteries, so replace them often.
- Be sure the thermostat is not receiving false readings from sunlight, ovens, space heaters, or nearby lamps. If it is, the unit will send the wrong output to the furnace.
For comprehensive furnace repair in Augusta, GA, call Duggan’s One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning
. We have a history of exceptional service and customer satisfaction!