With the summer quickly approaching, you want to make sure that your AC is working properly so that you and your family can stay cool. At Duggan’s One Hour, our experienced technicians are here to help you with any air conditioning needs you may have in your home. We have the necessary skills to repair or service your AC and can even show you how to replace a home thermostat.
Steps to Replace Your Thermostat
Do you know how to replace a home thermostat? If your current thermostat is looking old and discolored, knowing how to replace it may be a good skill to have. With these easy steps, you can be on your way to installing an updated thermostat in your home.
- Find your circuit breaker and shut off the power to your old thermostat.
- Remove the cover from the thermostat and the screws that are keeping it held to the wall.
- Carefully remove the thermostat from the wall so that the wires are exposed.
- Examine each of the wires and mark them with tape so that you can know where they are supposed to go. Some of the labels you may use are: W, G, Y, R, and RC. These will correspond to the terminal screws.
- Use a screwdriver to loosen the screws and unhook the wires. You may need to tape them to the wall if they start to fall back.
- Take the old thermostat off the wall and put the new one in its place.
- Reconnect the wires and screw the device into the wall.
- Turn the power on from the circuit breaker and program the thermostat.
With these eight steps, you can learn how to replace a home thermostat. Before the summer heat comes, get your Augusta, GA HVAC checked by a professional technician. Contact us here today at Duggan’s One Hour by calling 706-733-8703.