How to Properly Clean Air Ducts
Posted on January 23rd, 2018
Just like any other part of your home, your air ducts can become dusty and gross if they aren’t cleaned regularly. Dirty air ducts can lead to breathing problems, bad allergies, expensive utility bills, and other annoying problems. Air duct cleaning
is a necessity, so it’s important to either clean them yourself or call a technician
to do so every three to five years.
If you plan to clean your home’s air ducts without the help of a professional technician, here’s how you can do so quickly and efficiently.
- Step 1: Remove the floor and wall registers with a drill. Then, remove the vent itself and wash it with hot, soapy water.
- Step 2: Attach a cleaning brush firmly to the tip of the drill, then stick it inside the duct to wipe the surfaces off. Be careful, this step can be extremely dusty, so people with dust allergies might need some assistance.
- Step 3: Once the walls of the vent have been dusted with the drill’s brush, stick a vacuum cleaner hose into the vent and suck up the remaining debris.
- Step 4: After vacuuming, grab a damp microfiber cloth and reach as far into the vent as you can. Scrub the walls to remove any particularly stubborn patches of gunk. You might want to spray a little cleaner on the cloth before starting.
- Step 5: Wipe the area around the outside of the vent and return the clean register to its place.
Repeat these steps with all of the remaining vents in your home.
Although you can clean your air ducts without the help of a technician, it’s always a good idea to have a professional conduct regular inspections of your home’s HVAC system. Consider contacting Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning
to handle your duct cleaning so they can make sure the entire system is running smoothly. Their licensed professionals service homes in the greater Augusta, Georgia, area and can also help with heating repairs, furnace installations, thermostat fixes, and regular maintenance. To schedule an appointment or speak to a company representative, call 706-733-8703
or visit https://www.dugganheatingac.com/