Indoor Air Quality Basics in Augusta, GA
Did you know that 99 percent of the contaminants that affect your health are unable to be seen by the naked eye? Each day, when you breathe in, you and your family may be breathing in harmful particles. When it comes to your home’s indoor air quality, understanding how to make it healthier, and the role Duggan’s One Hour plays in this process can help you protect your health, as well as the health of your family.
Measuring a Home’s Indoor Air Quality
When Duggan’s One Hour is called for concerns with indoor air quality
, our technicians will use modern technology to measure the issues in the air. Some of the most common issues present include:
- Toxic gases
Each of these items can have an adverse effect on a person’s health, leading to chronic issues, such as asthma if not corrected.
Improving Indoor Air Quality
There are a number of steps that can be taken by a homeowner to improve indoor air quality, which include:
- Minimizing moisture in the air by installing a quality exhaust system in bathrooms or washrooms
- Clean and dust spaces regularly
- Insure HVAC systems are working properly and circulating the air to minimize issues
- Change the air filter to remove unwanted airborne particles
Importance of Indoor Air Quality
When most people think of pollution, they think of smoggy city streets. Believe it or not, the air in our houses, schools, and workplaces is typically up to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air. Pollutants can enter buildings through a dirty duct system, via a clogged air filter, or even on our clothes. Today, people spend more of their time indoors than anywhere else. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (USEPA) estimates that people receive 72 percent of their chemical exposure right at home -- where they think they’re the safest.
In light of this, improving indoor air quality is a vital task. High-efficiency cooling systems, clean air filters, and proper ductwork can all improve air quality. If you’re worried about the air in your home, contact Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning for assistance. We’ll assess your indoor air quality and find solutions that work!
Common Indoor Air Quality Problems
You might know that our country has a serious indoor air quality problem. More homeowners are beginning to realize how polluted the air inside their homes can become. Here are some of the most common issues:
- Chemicals – Our primary point of exposure for most chemicals is within our own homes. Airborne chemicals from building materials and household products emit thousands of volatile compounds into our breathing air.
- Mold – Moisture is a common source of poor indoor air quality, as it can often lead to mold and mildew growth. Mold then emits particulates, which cause negative health effects.
- Poor Ventilation – Many buildings are tightly sealed and well-insulated. You would think this is a good thing. In reality, it means that these buildings have poor ventilation. Stale air is recirculated throughout the building, trapping and spreading the same contaminants everywhere.
Indoor Air Quality Maintenance
Every occupant of a building has a responsibility to maintain or improve the building’s indoor air quality. Simple things like storing food, using a photocopier, or cooking in the microwave can bring odors and pollutants into the air. By becoming aware of your own impact, you’re taking the first step to improving indoor air quality.
For our part, Duggan's One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning provides thorough maintenance and cleaning services. If your ductwork or air filter is dirty, it will have a noticeable impact on indoor air quality. We can protect against this with HEPA air filters, air cleaners, duct cleaning, and even UV light systems. All these items reduce contaminants in the air. This is a process, though, and will take time. A high-efficiency air filter is usually our first tool. We’ll do whatever it takes to provide you with a clean and fresh environment.
How Duggan’s One Hour can Help
The good news is you don’t have to fight this battle for indoor air quality alone. Duggan’s One Hour offers products that can help you eliminate dangerous particles from your home, protecting your health and the health of your family.
The filters offered by these filters use a three step process to eliminate all instances of particles including:
- Danger Level 1 removes particulates and allergens. This uses basic filtration.
- Danger Level 2 removes infectious agents, such as germs. These are removed by UVC light.
- Danger Level 3 removes toxic compounds. UVV light is used for these toxic agents.
If you are ready to improve your homes indoor air quality, contact Duggan’s One Hour
today at 706-733-8703